Translational Research Program for Care Robots
Using technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, the Research Institute is conducting, jointly with the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, a technology and service model development program that resolves, based on a package form (technology development, translational research, field demonstration, and institutional improvement), care-related issues of persons with disabilities, seniors, and caregivers that could not be addressed with previous devices.
There is a rise in demand for care as a result of the aging population, increased disabled population, and increasingly aging disabled population, but there is a shortage of caregiving persons owing to a reduction in the working age population.
- Using technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, including care robots, resolve care-related issues that could not be addressed with previous devices based on a package form (technology development, translational research, field demonstration, and institutional improvement).
- Enhance the quality of life and promote the care robot technology industry by supporting the daily life (transfer, bedsore prevention, changing body position, excretion, feeding, etc.) of persons with severe disabilities and reducing the care burden of caregivers.
- Program target: Persons with severe disabilities, seniors with mobility difficulties, caregivers
- R&D on care robots and service models that are adequate for care circumstances (facilities, homes) in Korea (implementation of adequate technologies through convergence of low tech and high tech)
- Carry out R&D first in four care robot areas (transfer, bedsore prevention and position change, excretion, meal, etc.)
- Conduct ‘research together with those in demand’ (entire phase participation by caregivers, companies, and policy experts)
- Build and operate a care robot network forum
- Establish a package-type ecosystem platform in consideration of technological development, translational research, personnel, systems, and policies
- Implement ‘package-type R&D’ through cooperation between the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and Ministry of Health and Welfare where the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy supports development of care robot commercialization technology and the Ministry of Health and Welfare supports care-related translational research, field demonstration, and service model development
- Establish a data-based sustainable R&D and demonstration environment (continuous support, SW)
- Excretion assistance
- Feeding assistance
- Mobility support (Moving at Home)
- Exercise assistance (Strengthen muscular strength)
- Communication robot
- Mobility support (Moving outside)
- Bath assistance
- Transfer assistance (non-wearable)
- Bedsore prevention and position change
- Smart monitoring and coaching
- Transfer assistance (wearable)